This week we celebrate Drake’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication and our SJMC Family. Those on campus can check out the SJMC Centennial Exhibit on panels and in display cases throughout the main level of Meredith Hall. All students and alumni can join JMC Days activities in person or online.
- Oct. 19: Make It Monday - Decorate a pillowcase or t-shirt, color, or get creative at home and share your creations online at #drakejmc.
- Oct. 20: Tinker Tuesday - Tinkertoys are a classic, but in the SJMC the Tinkers are siblings Mary Beth and John Tinker who wore black armbands to school to protest the Vietnam War. This eventually led to a Supreme Court ruling in favor of free speech rights for students. Some classes this week and next will watch “Raise Your Voice,” a documentary about youth free speech history in the U.S. In six words or less, answer the question, “What does free speech mean to me?” in Meredith’s north lobby or in comments on social media.
- Oct. 21: Wellness Wednesday - Anyone can join J54 students on a “fun run” on the new campus Bulldog Mile starting around 11:15 a.m. (Dean Richardson will lead the walking group!) The SJMC is known for Pacemaker awards; use this opportunity to set your own pace. Stop by Meredith’s north lobby to borrow jump ropes, Frisbees, kites, and bubbles to use outside.
- Oct. 22: Thankful Thursday - Tell us what you’re thankful for in Meredith's north lobby or online.
- Oct. 23: Fun Friday - Visit the table in Meredith Hall’s north lobby and/or outside Meredith’s west door for fun options. Share photos of your distanced Friday fun tagging #drakejmc.
- Oct. 24: Spontaneous Saturday - You’re on your own today. Be creative!
- Oct. 25: Selfless Sunday - Encourage a roommate, neighbor, or friend. Participate in virtual volunteer opportunities or join Drake alumni and enter your volunteerism as part of #DUGoodMonth.
SJMC social media at #drakejmc
Sunday, October 25
Meredith Hall, Lobbies
2805 University Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50311